If you’re starting a blog for your business (or for any other reason!), chances are you’re on the hunt for ways to improve your blog’s SEO. If not, it’s time to start! That is, if you want to get more traffic to your site. Here are a few quick SEO blog tips that can help.
SEO Blog Tips
Use keyword-rich titles and descriptions
Make sure your blog posts have descriptive, keyword-rich titles that accurately reflect the content. This will not only help with SEO, but also make it more likely that people will click through to your post. You’ll want to do some extensive keyword research to help with this, so let’s talk about that next.
Perform keyword research
One of the most important aspects of SEO is keyword research. By identifying the right keywords to target, you can focus your efforts on optimizing your content for those terms and improve your blog’s ranking in search engine results pages. There are a number of tools and techniques you can use for keyword research, so be sure to experiment until you find one that works best for you. (I share some of my favourites down below)
Optimize your images
When you upload a photo to your blog, make sure you include keywords right in the file name. You’ll also want to fill out the alternate text field with a brief, keyword-rich description.
(Do a deeper dive into SEO blog image best practices here)
Link to other posts
Internal linking is critical for SEO. Internal linking is when you link to other posts on your own blog or website. This helps search engines understand what your blog is about and can also help readers navigate your site.
When linking to other posts, be sure to use keywords in the anchor text (the text that appears highlighted when you hover over a link). When you link to other posts on your blog, it helps search engines understand the relevancy and context of your content.
Promote your content
Once you’ve published a new post, be sure to share it on social media and other channels. This helps drive traffic to your blog and improve its SEO.
Use social media
Another great way to improve your blog’s SEO is by using social media. By sharing your content on sites like Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn, you can reach a larger audience and drive more traffic back to your blog. You can also use social media to connect with other bloggers and build relationships that can help promote your content. This is also a great way to build backlinks.
Backlinks are links from other websites that point to your blog. The more (high quality) backlinks you have, the higher your blog’s ranking will be in search engine results pages. There are different ways to go about generating backlinks.
- Submit your blog to directories
- Write guest posts for other blogs
- Engage in social media outreach
- Participate in online discussions and forums
- Submit your content to article directories
- Promote your content on social media
- Sign up for HelpaReporter.com. This is a site that connects reporters with sources for their stories. If you provide valuable information and are quoted in an article, you may get a link back to your blog.
Learn everything you can about blog SEO
The more you know about SEO, the better equipped you’ll be to optimize your blog for maximum visibility in search engine results pages. There are a number of great resources available online, so be sure to take advantage of them and learn as much as you can about how to improve your blog’s SEO.
Here are some of my favourites.
SEO Resources for Bloggers
Some helpful SEO resources include:
- Google Search Central (Formerly Google Webmaster Tools): This is a great place to start if you’re just getting started with SEO. It provides a wealth of information on how to improve your website’s visibility in search engine results pages.
- Moz: Moz is another useful resource for learning about SEO. It offers a variety of tutorials, articles and other resources that can help you improve your blog’s SEO.
- SEOMoz Blog: The SEOMoz blog is a great place to find up-to-date information on the latest SEO trends and techniques.
- Ubersuggest: I use this tool for keyword research for my vegetarian food blog and I really love it. It also sends regular emails with updates about my site, including any SEO issues it finds so I can address them.
- SEMRush: This is a handy tool for competitive analysis. It allows you to see how well your site is performing in comparison to other websites in your industry. This can be really useful for determining what SEO techniques you should be focusing on.
- Google Analytics: Google Analytics is a must-have for any website, and it’s especially useful for bloggers who want to track their traffic and understand where it’s coming from.
- Google Trends: If you’re deciding between two keywords, Google Trends can be a useful tool for determining which one is more popular. It shows the relative popularity of a keyword over time.
- Yoast: I have Yoast Premium installed on my websites and I find it incredibly helpful. It’s a WordPress plug-in and there’s also. free version. It’s a great way to ensure that your blog posts are optimized for SEO. It includes readability and SEO tools as well as more advanced tools like schema.
That’s it for now! These are just a few of the many things you can do to improve your blog’s SEO. So get out there and start putting them to work!